Yesterday, May 25, was Geek Pride Day, and I confess with shame that I was remiss in alerting us to the need to celebrate. The manifesto is as follows (via the Wikipedia entry linked above):
- The right to be even nerdier.
- The right to not leave your house.
- The right to not have a significant other and to be a virgin.
- The right to not like football or any other sport.
- The right to associate with other nerds.
- The right to have few friends (or none at all).
- The right to have all the nerdy friends that you want.
- The right to not be “in-style.”
- The right to be overweight and have poor eyesight.
- The right to show off your nerdiness.
- The right to take over the world.
- Be a nerd, no matter what.
- Try to be nerdier than anyone else.
- If there is a discussion about something nerdy, you must give your opinion.
- Save any and all nerdy things you have.
- Do everything you can to show off your nerdy stuff as though it were a “museum of nerdiness.”
- Don’t be a generalized nerd. You must specialize in something.
- Attend every nerdy movie on opening night and buy every nerdy book before anyone else.
- Wait in line on every opening night. If you can go in costume or at least with a related T-shirt, all the better.
- Don’t waste your time on anything not related to nerddom.
- Befriend any person or persons bearing any physical similarities to comic book or sci-fi figures.
- Try to take over the world!