Now that Thanksgiving has passed, I have been assigned my yearly task by my grandmother of getting my Christmas list together for distribution to whichever unlucky cousin drew my name this year. I did so today, and given that Christmas is pretty much all about being a celebration of childhood and pretty lights for me, it served to highlight some of the changes of adulthood:
It is now hard to think of things to put on a list! I now dislike putting big and/or impractical things on my list because I know I’ll have to pack and move them the next time I change dwellings. None of the things I put down are toys. Very few of the things I put down are fun.
I actually started thinking about signs of becoming a grown-up right after Halloween, when a friend said that she must be growing up because she’ll now eat the Special Dark chocolate pieces in the Halloween candy. I polled more friends, and here’s the list we came up with:
- Last time I drove to the beach (4 hours), I listened to NPR all the way there.
- I now read non-fiction books for fun.
- I plan out all my meals for the week and write a grocery list accordingly, rather than just going to the store and seeing what looks good.
- I looooove carbonated water. Better than still.
- I enjoy watching HGTV.
- 1-2 years doesn’t seem like a long time to wait for something.
- I’d rather eat a good apple than candy.
- I no longer want to steal sugar packets from the cafes and eat them all in one sitting, because I’ve done it and all it did was give me a headache.
- I miss homework because I know it helps me learn.
- I prefer mustard to ketchup on my hot dog/bratwurst/grilled sausage of choice.
So, dear reader, what were/are your signs that you’re becoming a grown-up? Add to the list!
-posted by Dana